DAIRY LEMON POUND CAKE
Write a review
- 2 sticks softened butter (not microwaved, softened by removing from the fridge and allowing to come to room temp naturally)
- 1&1/4 + 1 Tbsp sugar (I know it's strange but just go with it)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest from 1 large lemon (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice (juice lemon into a bowl, then measure out 1 tsp, reserve the rest fro the glaze)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
For the glaze
- 1&1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- reserved lemon juice
- water (if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 180c (350f)
- Grease the bottom of an 8 inch loaf pan.
- Place a piece of parchment ad fold the corners into the pan so that the parchment fits in perfectly.
- Spray the parchment and dust lightly wth flour.
- In the bowl of an electric mix mixer cream butter until pale (about 2 minutes).
- Add sugar and cream for another 4 minutes until sugar begins to dissolve into the butter.
- (Scrape down sides occasionally to insure even mixing)
- In a separate bowl add eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest (don't mix together)
- Once the butter and sugar have finished creaming add eggs one at a time.
- Make sure to wait until each egg is incorporated before adding the next.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, salt and baking powder.
- With the mixer on low slowly add in flour mixture.
- Once all the flour has been added, immediately shut off mixer and combine the rest with a spatula. (It is really important not to over mix this batter)
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 - 55 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes then use the parchment to help remove it and place on a cooling rack.
- Once cake is completely cooled, drizzle glaze on top.
For the Glaze
- Pour confectioners sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add 1 tsp. of lemon juice at a time until the mixture is loose enough to create ribbons when you pour some out of a spoon.
- (If you run out of lemon juice before you get to that point, you can use water)
- Use a spoon to drizzle over cake.
- If freezing, allow cake to cool completely. Do not glaze. Wrap the parchment you cooked it in around the cake, then wrap tightly in Saran Wrap. Freeze.
- Remove from the freezer either the night before you intend on serving it or at least 4 hours before.
- Drizzle glaze on top of c cake once it is defrosted.
Peas, Love & Carrots https://peaslovencarrots.com/