Vietnamese Banh Mi Sandwich
Write a review
For the meat
- 1&1/2 lbs. very thinly sliced steak (think Philly style meat)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1&1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 4 Tbsp. canola oil
For the pickled vegetables
- 4-5 large peeled, carrots
- 1/4 lb. radishes, washed and tops cut off
- 3 cups warm water
- 4 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2-3 Tbsp sugar (depending on how sweet you like your pickles)
- 2 Tbsp. salt
For the Soy-Lime Mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1 cup oil
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 lime halved
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
For the Pickled Vegetables
- Either using a food processor fitted with the grate attachment that has the largest holes, or by using a knife, cut carrots into matchsticks and very thinly slice radishes.
- Place carrots and radishes into jars. (You can combine in one jar or jar separately)
- Combine all the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Pour pickling liquid into the jars until the vegetables are covered.
- Allow vegetables to sit in pickling liquid for 1 hour before using.
For the Soy Lime Mayonnaise
- Place all the ingredients (besides the soy sauce) in the long container that comes with your immersion blender.
- Place the blender in and the second it touches the eggs turn it on and do not lift it (oil on top will slowly drizzle in).
- Once the mixture on the bottom of the container gets thicker gently gently lift up one side and then don’t lift other side until all oil is streamed in.
- Continue that process of only lift one side and then the other until you reach the top of the container.
- At this point go up and down 2-3 times and all the oil will be incorporated and your mayo thick and creamy.
- Add in the soy sauce and gently fold in with a spatula.
- Refrigerate mayo for at least 2 hours before serving.
For the meat
- Pour all the ingredients for the marinade into a ziplock bag.
- Shake bag to mix.
- Add in the meat and shake again to distribute the marinade all over the meat.
- Marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat a skillet over high heat till it is very hot.
- Add a tsp of oil to the pan to prevent meat from sticking and working in small batches add a 1/4 of the meat to the pan.
- Stir constantly to prevent sticking.
- Since the meat is sliced very thinly it will only take 1-2 minutes to cook.
- Once the meat is cooked, remove from the pan and continue to cook the rest of the meat in the same way.
For the mayonnaise
To assemble the Banh Mi
- Slice baguettes in half lengthwise.
- Spread bottom half with a nice amount of Soy Lime Mayonnaise.
- Add a layer of the sliced meat and top with pickled vegetables.
- Top vegetables with a few leaves of cilantro and some of the thinly sliced chiles.
- Eat right away and Enjoy!
- You can easily substitute the meat for chicken, scrambled eggs tofu to even ground beef.
- Also, it is very traditional to add a smear of liver pate. You can use any good quality pate! Definitely give it a try because it is absolutely delicious!
Peas, Love & Carrots https://peaslovencarrots.com/