STOVETOP APRICOT BARBECUE SHORTRIBS
Write a review
- 28 short ribs
- Kosher Salt
- Coarse pepper
- 2 Tbsp neutral oil (like walnut), divided
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1, 18oz jar apricot jam
- 2, bottles, spicy barbecue sauce (I like gefen)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat.
- The Liberally season short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper
- Once pot is hot, drizzle in 1 tbsp of oil.
- Working in batches add a few short ribs to the pot (do not over crowd)
- Brown ribs on all six sides (about 6-8 minutes per batch)
- Remove from the pot and continue until all the ribs are browned.
- Pour out all but 1 Tbsp of the fat that has accumulated in the pot
- Add onions and cook for 6-8 minutes stirring often.
- Once onions have softened add in garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant
- Pour in apricot jam and sir until it is melted.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and bring to a boil.
- Taste to adjust salt and pepper seasoning.
- Ladle out half the sauce and set aside.
- Once boiling, return short ribs to the pot
- Pour the sauce that was set aside over the short ribs in the pot.
- Bring mixture back to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pot
- Simmer for 4 hours until the meat is soft and tender.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- *You can absolutely make this with a brisket, veal ribs or spare ribs.
- For a brisket: Sear the same way. Half the amount of jam, bbq sauce and chicken stock. Check after 2 hours.
- For veal ribs: Marinate overnight in the sauce and bbq on a hot grill until cooked.
- Place ribs and sauce in a crock pot and cook overnight on low.
- For spare ribs: Same method as short ribs, only less cooking time. Check them after 3 hours.
- **Because every sauce and am has different sodium levels I did not give salt and pepper amounts. It is important to taste and adjust the amount of salt depending on the brands you use!
Peas, Love & Carrots https://peaslovencarrots.com/