Pickled Eggplant and Onion Salat
Write a review
- 1 eggplant cut into 4 long slices
- kosher salt, for sprinkling
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Place eggplant slices on a cooling rack and sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt over each piece.
- Allow to sit for ten minutes.
- Turn slices over and allow them to sit for another 30 minutes.
- Wipe eggplant slices with a kitchen towel to remove salt and moisture.
- Chop up slices into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Add eggplant cubes to a pan with onion, oil, salt and pepper.
- Cook on low heat for 30 minutes till eggplants and onion have softened.
- Raise heat and cook for another 2-3 minutes until eggplant begins to brown.
- Add sugar and vinegar to the pan scraping any bits.
- Shut off fire and allow mixture to cool for at least half an hour before adding cilantro.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- This can stay in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Peas, Love & Carrots https://peaslovencarrots.com/