Brazilian Pao de Queijo (cheese balls)
Write a review
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 kilo Manioc Starch (or 1 kilo Tapioca Starch)
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 500 grams shredded cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Pour oil and milk in a medium sized pot and place over high heat
- While milk and oil are heating mix manioc starch and salt in a large bowl
- Add cheese and stir to combine fully
- Once milk and oil have reached a full boil and begun to foam, remove from heat and to cheese mixture
- Use a spoon to combine until it gets too tough to mix
- Then knead with your hands until 95% of the flour mixture has been incorperated
- Add eggs and work into "dough"
- Once eggs are incorporated, form tablespoon size balls
- Place balls into a parchment lined tin, in layers, placing more parchment paper between each layer
- Freeze for at least 2 hours or until you are ready to bake them
- Preheat oven to 350f (180c)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place frozen cheese balls on baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Another fabulous (and gluten free, woohoo) recipe from my Brazilian friends, Nomi Fink and Malki Landau.
- *Nomi likes to make a lot of these at once, freeze them in layers, and then transfer them to a zip top bag so they take less space in her freezer
- **These are also perfect for Pesach, because they are gluten free and you can make a whole bunch the first days of yuntif and just cook off what you need for a quick meal!
Peas, Love & Carrots https://peaslovencarrots.com/