MOZZARELLA STUFFED FRIED GREEN OLIVES
Write a review
- 2 cups large pitted green olives
- 1, tennis ball sized piece fresh mozzarella in water
- 4 cups panko breadcrumbs (or any UNSEASONED crumbs)
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional but recommended)
- 1 & 1/2 cups canola or grape seed oil
- *3 cups plain tomato sauce (no chunks or spices!), lightly heated through
- *grated parmesan
- Look at the size of your olives, and how big the opening is by where the pit used to be.
- Cut mozzarella into small rectangles a little smaller than the opening.
- Stuff each olive with one piece of mozzarella.
- Set aside to prepare the breading station.
- Place oil in a small sauce pan over medium high to begin heating.
- Place flour in a shallow dish and combine with granulated garlic and cayenne.
- In another shallow dish combine the eggs and milk. Whisk until they are well blended.
- In the last shallow dish, add the bread crumbs.
Take olives (you can do a few at a time) and bread them
- (Yes, egg and bread twice. Because. Crunch.)
- Gently drop a few olives into the oil and fry for about 1-1&1/2 minutes until they are lightly golden.
- Place fried olives on a paper towel lined baking sheet for a minute.
- Serve immediately.
- I like to serve this version of the stuffed fried olives over a slightly warm tomato sauce, sprinkled with copious amounts of parmesan cheese!
- Once the olives are breaded place them in a Tupperware or baking dish. If layering the olives, place a piece of parchment paper between the layers. Freeze immediately. To cook, just take them out of the freezer and fry. Don’t wait for them to defrost!
Peas, Love & Carrots https://peaslovencarrots.com/