Mini Apple Pop Tarts
Write a review
- 1 pkg sweet pie dough (has 2 rolls) OR 4-5 sweet pie shells, defrosted rolled out
- 4 green apples, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Place peeled apples in a medium sized non stick pot set over medium high heat.
- Add salt and carefully stir until all the liquid has evaporated.
- (Alternatively, you can allow the mixture to cook for 1 minutes so the salt can draw out any liquid from the apples, and then drain out water)
- Once there is no liquid in the pot add vanilla and stir to coat.
- Add brown sugar to the pot, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle cornstarch and mix immediately.
- Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Turn off heat and set aside to allow mixture to cool completely.
- preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut pie dough into 6 inch by 2 inch size rectangles.
- Use a brush to place a very small amount of egg on the borders of only half the rectangle.
- Place 1 heaping tbsp of apple mixture in the first 1/3 of the rectangle.
- Fold the rectangle in half so that the apple mixture is completely covered.
- Use a for to press the edges of the dough together.
- Brush the tops with egg and a very gentle sprinkling of sugar.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes until cooked and golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool in pan for 2 minutes than transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cool, lay in a single layer, wrap gently in Saran Wrap and freeze overnight.
- Once frozen, stick them in a ziplock bag.
- Remove from freezer 2 hours before serving!
Peas, Love & Carrots https://peaslovencarrots.com/