ICE CREAM DOUGH – DOUGHNUTS
RECIPE: Danielle Renov, @peaslovencarrots
Parchment Technique: Naomi Elberg, @naomi_tgis
- 1 pint (2 cups) melted vanilla ice cream
- 2&3/4 – 3&1/4 cups self rising flour (yeast based as opposed to baking powder/soda)
- (the flour amount will be somewhere between these two amounts depending which brand ice cream and self rising flour you use! Start with 2 &3/4 cups and add as needed)
- OR use same measurement of REGULAR FLOUR + 2 TEASPOONS INSTANT DRY YEAST INSTRUCTIONS:
- Place melted ice cream and self rising flour in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Mix on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Wipe dough off hook and mix again on high speed for another 3 minutes.
- Remove bowl from mixer.
- Weigh out 60 gram balls of dough and place on individual parchment squares.
- Spray the top of the dough with non-stick spray and cover loosely with Saran Wrap.
- Set dough aside for 1&1/2 – 2 hours to allow to rise.
- Depending on the temp of your house, brand off ice cream and which flour you use, rising may differ. The best rule of them thumb is to wait until they almost double in size! (rising time for regular flour + yeast will take closer to the 2 hour time)
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot over medium high heat and add 3-4 inches of oil to the pot.
- Use a thermometer and once the oil registers to 345f (173c) place dough with parchemtn paper into the oil.
- Once parchment falls off, use tongs to remove the parchment from the oil.
- Cook doughnuts until they are golden on both sides.
- Remove from oil and place on a cooling rack.
- Once dounughts are cool you can stuff, fill, glaze and decorate any way you like!
- This doesn’t really work with “chunky” ice Cream. the bots and polices of whatever it is either release water and mess with the dough or they burnt on the oil!
- These donuts are dairy and the recipe does NOT work with non-dairy ice cream!
- Then jury is still out on other flavor smooth ice creams!
- The self rising flour in Israel is made with yeast. Be sure to buy one like that! The brand I used is Osem self rising flour. If you don’t want to out and buy that use regular flour + 2 tsp instant dry yeast!