EASY CRISPY BAKED FALAFEL
Write a review
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1&1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves (optional)
- 4 c soaked chickpeas, drained and towel dried very well. (you’ll need about 3 cups dried chickpeas to start with) *See more about this in the notes below.
- Preheat oven to 200°c (400°f) and stick a sheetpan into the oven to heat up.
- Meanwhile add everything to the bowl of a food processor except the herbs and chickpeas.
- Pulse, scraping down sides often until puréed and everything is evenly mixed.
- Add in herbs and chickpeas.
- Pulse until mixture is finely blended, but still a drop coarse, scraping down sides occasionally.
- Remove pan from oven and drizzle 1/4 c of canola oil over the pan.
- Make sure to spread out so that falafel doesn’t stick!
- Take a small fistful of mixture (about 1/3 c) and form it into a half circle shape directly on the baking sheet (any 8 “falafels” per tray).
- Drizzle a very small amount of oil over the tops. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and use a spatula to gently remove them from the tray.
- Stuff into pitas with whatever you like and enjoy.
*TO SOAK CHICKPEAS
- Buy 3 cups of dried chickpeas. Place them in a large bowl and fill bowl with water. Water should cover chickpeas by about 2 inches. Leave out on the counter, uncovered, overnight. To use, simply drain water from the bowl and pour chickpeas onto a kitchen towel. Dry thoroughly before using!
- **You can totally customize these falafel to your likings.
- Replace cilantro with parsley, or even leave out the herbs all together.
- Add 1 tsp of cayenne pepper for a kick.
Peas, Love & Carrots https://peaslovencarrots.com/