CHICKEN POT PIE
Write a review
- 9 Tbsp. canola oil
- 6 carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 celery stalks, peeled (to remove stringy fibers) and diced
- 3 onions, diced
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 3 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 9 Tbsp. flour
- 1&3/4 cups sherry wine (or white wine)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8-10 cups cubed roasted chicken (from 3 chickens) (or you can buy rotisserie chicken
- 2&1/2 cups frozen peas
- 3 sheets of puff pastry. thawed
- 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks, well beaten
- Preheat oven to 350f (180c)
- Liberally grease 3 large pie dishes, or medium sized ones.
- Set aside
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add oil, carrots, celery, onion salt and pepper.
- Sautee until the onions become translucent and carrots and celery slightly soften.
- Add zucchini and stir for another 4-5 minutes.
- sprinkle in paprika and flour stirring well to make sure everything is evenly coated.
- At this point it is very important to keep stirring for 3-4 minutes so that the flour cooks, but does not burn.
- Pour in wine and using a wooden spoon or spatula mix well and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Once the wine has been absorbed add the stock and stir carefully but vigorously.
- Add roasted chicken and stir through.
- Pour in frozen peas and mix well
- Keep mixing until mixture comes to a boil.
- As soon as it comes to a boil, divide mixture into pie dishes.
- Allow mixture to cool for 30 minutes.
- Slightly roll out puff pastry sheets so that they are big enough to cover the pie dishes completely.
- place pie dishes on a baking sheet (so that they are easy to take out of the oven).
- Brush beaten egg on the edges of the pie dish and place puff pastry over the top.
- Use your hands to press the dough onto the sides of the dish so that it sticks firmly.
- Use the tip of a sharp knife to pierce a few holes in the puff pastry to help the steam escape and brush the top of the puff pastry with beaten egg.
- sprinkle a small amount of kosher salt over the top of the puff pastry.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and cook for 40-45 minutes until the puff pastry is golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.
- To roast chicken, place 3 whole or cut up chickens (on the bone) in a roasting pan.
- Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle sat and pepper.
- Bake in. 350f (180c) oven for 1 hour and 10-20 minutes (depending on size of chickens)
- Remove from the oven, cool for 30 minutes, then cube.
- This recipe makes a lot. Its on purpose. It freezes really well, and is the perfect thing to keep on hand for when you need to throw together a quick dinner or send over a meal to a friend in need. Its just as easy to make 3 of them as it is to make 1!
- Allow pot pie to cool completely. Wrap the entire dish in a few layers of saran wrap, then one final layer of tin foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To defrost and reheat
- Take the pot pie out of the freezer the night before or early in the morning the day you want to serve. Immediately unwrap the foil and Saran Wrap. It is easier to do this when it is frozen so that none of the pastry breaks! Loosely cover in foil and refrigerate (if the night before) or leave on the counter. Reheat uncovered. Serve hot and enjoy!
Peas, Love & Carrots https://peaslovencarrots.com/