Write a review
- 1 kilo (about 7 cups) Carioca Beans (or black eyed peas)
- 7 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp salt
- Soak beans overnight in a large bowl, filled with water
- Drain beans and place in a large pot with water and salt
- Bring mixture to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours until soft and tender. (This is not the place you want anything "al-dente")
- Meanwhile in a second large pot add oil, garlic, onion and salt
- Cook on low heat till onions are lightly golden
- Once beans are soft, pour out 1/3 of the liquid they were cooking
- Pour the beans and remaining water into the pot with the onion and garlic
- Cook for another 30 minutes, covered until water has thickened to create a "sauce"
- Taste to adjust seasoning
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
- Another incredible recipe from my Brazilian friends, Nomi Fink and Malki Landau.
Peas, Love & Carrots https://peaslovencarrots.com/