BOURBON APPLE TURNOVERS
Write a review
- 6 green apples, peeled, cored and sliced (Place in cold water and lemon juice to prevent browning)
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 pkg puff pastry or frozen sweet pie dough, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- sugar for sprinkling
- Place a large pan over medium high heat and add oil.
- Remove apples from water and place in the pan with salt.
- Stir gently so as not to break up apple slices too much.
- Once apples soften and most of the liquid they released has evaporated, add brown sugar.
- Carefully pour in bourbon into the pan and stir gently.
- Allow the bourbon to reduce down (about 1-2 minutes)
- Add in blueberries, and mix gently.
- Remove pan from heat and allow mixture to cool completely.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 350f (180c) and grease a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Lay out puff pastry and use a rolling pin to slightly thin it out.
- Use a sharp knife to cut squares any shape or size you want.
- Place a tbsp of filling in the center of the dough and brush a little bit of beaten egg around the edges of the dough.
- Fold one end over to seal up the square or triangle.
- Use a fork to gently press the outer edges of the dough to seal tightly.
- Place on baking sheet and continue until all the filling is used up.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with the a very light dusting of sugar and place baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake until the dough is golden and cooked through (about 12-15 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and place individual turnovers on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- I like to freezer these before I bake them and then pull out what I need and bake them fresh.
- To freeze, I place them on a baking sheet into the freezer. Once frozen, place a ziplock bag flat on the counter. put a layer of frozen turnovers flat in the bag, then a layer of parchment and then more turnovers. Repeat until the bag is full and replace in the freezer.
Peas, Love & Carrots https://peaslovencarrots.com/