BEST SHAKSHUKA EVER
Write a review
FOR THE "SAUCE"
- 6 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno (optional)
- 1 large (or 2 small) shallots
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE SHAKSHUKA
- 1 cup sauce/ 2 eggs
- (If you want 4 eggs, use two cups sauce)
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- OPTIONAL (but not necessary!) SHAKSHUKA ADDITIONS (for 4 eggs)
- 2 Tbsp. Bulgarian/ feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp. zaatar
- 2 Tbsp. prepared tahini
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- fresh parsley or cilantro
- FOR THE "SAUCE"
- Add jalapeño, garlic and onion to a food processor.
- Pulse until finely, finely chopped.
- Add everything else to the food processor and pulse until a not smooth but only slightly chunky sauce forms.
- Store "sauce" in the fridge for unto a week.
FOR THE SHAKSHUKA (for 4 eggs)
- Crack eggs and place in individual plastic cups or bowls.
- (This will help the process go faster when it is time to add the eggs. Also, it will prevent having any cracked yolks in your shakshuka)
- Heat a medium size skillet over medium high heat.
- Lightly grease the skillet and add sauce.
- Store for about 1 minute until sauce heats through and begins to simmer.
- Use a spoon or spatula to create a small well in the sauce and very gently drop an egg into it.
- Repeat that step until all your eggs have been added.
- Season the top of the eggs with a small pinch of salt and pepper (and any other spices you want to add)
- Immediately cover the pan for 2-3 minutes.
- If add cheese, keep the pan covered for a minute and a half, then sprinkle cheese on top, return cover and cook for another minute.
- This will allow the whites on top to cook faster, allowing the yolk to
- remain, oh so perfect!
- Drizzle with thin, if using and serve hot with some good crusty bread!
Peas, Love & Carrots https://peaslovencarrots.com/