Cross-hatched Broiled Eggplant
Write a review
- 1 firm eggplant, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 tbsp coarse salt
- 4 tsps olive oil
- 4 tsp montreal steak seasoning
- Preheat oven to 180c (350f)
- Using a sharp knife, carefully make diagonal slices into the eggplant 3/4 of the way down, 1/2 an inch apart.
- Then make a mother set of diagonal slices the other way to direct the cross hatches.
- Gently push open the eggplant to create spaces in between the "boxes"
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of coarse salt on each eggplant making sure some it gets into the crevices.
- Turn eggplant upside down over the edge of a bowl and set it aside for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes you should see liquid on the bottom of the bowl that the salt has drawn out of the eggplant.
- Gently squeeze out any remaining liquid from the eggplants.
- Briefly run eggplant under cold water to rinse off excess salt.
- Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place eggplants in a greased baking dish, cut side up
- Drizzle 2 tsp of olive oil on each eggplant.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp of montreal steak seasoning over each half
- Bake in the lowest rack of the oven for 40 minutes
- Turn oven up to broil and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the edges get crispy.
- Serve hot, cold, or room temp!
Peas, Love & Carrots http://peaslovencarrots.com/